Image Map

Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Time to face the fat.

That's no typo, I did mean to write Fat. I've known I've been gaining weight for awhile, but I've also been "denying" it. Yes, the jeans have gotten a bit tighter, yes, I don't like the way any of my shirts look on me, yes, I've been sulking about it for quite awhile. But I also haven't changed it. 

That is, until a few weeks ago. I saw the number on the scale that I said I would never get to unless there was a growing human in my uterus. Seeing that number was my wake-up call. The thing is, as much as I've been "ignoring," it, I also know exactly what has lead to it. 

The fact that we eat out every day of the weekend. The fact that everything we do make at home is nothing but pasta dishes. Our eating times have gotten later at night. My activity level has completely gone down hill. 
And honestly? I'm embarrassed.

I'm embarrassed I can't walk up the stairs in our apartment without getting winded. That I can't chase around Chunk and dem Kittens without feeling like I ran a mile. That 5 minutes of Jillian legit kicks my butt. And the fact that I have gained 20 pounds since I met Mr., 3 years ago. 20 pounds people. That's ridiculous. But bless Mr.'s heart, he claims he's "barely" noticed. I call bull, but it's sweet to think that. 

In all reality, I'm a tiny girl. I'm just 5 feet tall. I should look like Snooki according to my doctors. The weight I'm carrying on my body has to be hurting me in the long run. For years my doctor's have said, 'Oh, you need to be in this range,' and I always ignored them. To start with, I was a very active kid. I was a huge soccer player, as well as a gymnast. And while I've gained this weight, my thighs are still pure muscle. My legs are pure muscle, and I have to say they are my favorite part of my body. However, it's my torso that's the issue. I can literally fit my index finger between the end of my rib cage and the start of my hip bone. Any weight on my body goes straight to the gut and out, it has nowhere else to go. Even my butt is flat! I constantly got teased for my "flat butt" in high school and college, and it's still flat as can be. I mean...really? I'd gladly take a few pounds there... 

So, we're making some changes in our household. Specifically in the food department.

I've tried Yeast Free. I've tried Paleo. I've tried just chicken and veggies. And I get bored. I don't like feeling "deprived," of things that I'm craving or that I want. So, we're going to try calorie counting, eating "fresh" food, and smaller portions. I don't need to eat as big as portion as E, I don't need to wolf down my food as fast as he does. When they say men's metabolism is way different then women's, they ain't jokin! 

And for the working out part? Well, obviously we'll start slow. I have an appointment at the gym today to look at membership options and get this work-out train started. When E says, "let's go for a walk," after dinner, I will take him up on it instead of making up every excuse in the book. Those dishes can wait in the sink for an hour or two, they aren't going anywhere.

I want to feel cute in my clothes again. I want this double chin to disappear, and to see my collarbone again. But most of all, I want to be in shape so that when we decide to have kids I don't have to worry about losing so much weight afterwards. Plus there's that little rumor that if you're in shape giving birth is easier. Not that I believe that a million percent, but I'm pretty sure if my endurance is up, I won't feel like I'm dying...right? 

In all reality, I know I can do it. There really isn't a reason why I can't. As of now, I'm not working full time. Instead of cleaning or rearranging furniture or shopping for things we don't need, I can go work out. We don't need 5 course meals every night, or an appetizer when we do go out to eat. Thankfully I have all the support in the world from my husband, and that's a great place to start.


10 comments:

  1. I have had a lot of the same feelings you described here. It is frustrating.

    Calorie-counting is something that I have gone back-and-forth with. I dislike it because it leads to me constantly thinking about numbers and calculations. You'll be surprised at how much time you can spend worrying about your count.

    I do think that eating smaller portions is a good idea. I try to do that and exercise, eat a better variety of different foods, and drink 4 bottles of water a day.

    We also love pasta!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Totally could have written this myself.

    I am right there with you girl. I need to start dieting and exercising but I just can't find the motivation. I was SUPER motivated before the wedding because who isn't motivated to look good in their wedding dress?

    But now, yeah, I've got nothing. :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel your pain. It's so easy to do nothing and enjoy what we eat. I too have gained way in my three year relationship and it blows. But thank you for admitting that those diets just don't cut it! That's why I can't diet. I like food and I don't want to eat the same damn thing everyday for every meal! Blahhhh. I was getting ready this morning and couldn't see my collar bone either. That's always been one of my favorite things. And being 5 foot, I understand it all!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know exactly how you feel! I've pretty much stopped working out and you can definitely tell :/ It's so hard to come to that realization that something needs to change, and even harder to actually do it. Goodness. But it's great you are pressing with it and making things happen. Now I need to do it too :D

    Xo, Jenna

    ReplyDelete
  5. You got this girl! WOOHOO! One thing I did before my wedding...if you work in an office building I took the stairs instead of the elevator every morning. No awkward morning convos & an easy way to burn off some extra calories!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am right there with you on every single thing you wrote pretty much!
    I'm 5'2. I should be in the range of 125-135ish... I am about 30-40lbs over that. EW!
    I don't like calorie counting, at all, but it can be a little helpful...it's just not something I like because people become WAY to obsessed with the numbers.
    I don't "diet" or really cut anything out what I already eat. I don't think people should deprive themselves of things they love (unless there is a major health reason aside from weight) because I feel like it's more likely to bite you in the ass. When you crave something so bad & you finally give in you can go overboard, so why not keep enjoying it, in smaller portions & teach yourself self control.
    Those are the two things I believe in. Portion control & self control.
    And obviously exercise.
    Also, the pregnancy thing, I also want to be in better shape for when that happens. I've also heard that being overweight can make it hard to get pregnant, another reason I need to drop some lbs. So, I feel you!
    Good luck in everything, again I am right there with you. Even with the starting to workout again.
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just stumbled on your blog. First, I love your cat. Second, you can do this! I am RIGHT THERE with you, girl. It's hard. And it sucks. Ugh. :-(

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so with you girl..I've been struggling to get back on track after hubby and I both gained weight..I was steady until last year which was verrrry stressful and BAM 20lbs. and I can't fit in to my clothes. I'm short too 5'3" so a little bit of weight makes a difference. Let me know how the gym shopping goes!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm right there with you, girl. I started exercising and eating right as my new year's resolution and actually kept up with it for a while! But then March hit and I lost my motivation, and now I'm right back where I started if not worse. I'm embarrassed by the way I look, but I just don't know where to turn for motivation because I know that's my biggest issue. You can totally do this, we'll be here supporting you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sometimes I personally feel like I sometimes fall into that comfortable-ness with my marriage and I think... whatever...we're married... he'll still love me the same....fat or not. Lately I've been trying so super hard to get myself back to where I was when Scott & I first met. I know that deep down, he will love me no matter what... but I also know that he deserves a HOT wife. So that is what I try to tell myself whenever I don't want to workout...or whenever I want that extra helping of whatever it is we're eating. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. I'm with you on this. =)

    ReplyDelete

Seeing a little "comment" appear just makes my day! I read every one of them and will respond as soon as I can. xo