Image Map

Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Senseless.

I think everybody in blog world can agree on something today, and that is that our thoughts & prayers are with everyone in Boston as they recover from another senseless act. 

When these things happen, I have to say I'm not sure how to feel anymore. Yes, there is the initial sadness that comes in the moment, the initial "How could this happen...again.

And maybe I'm alone on this, but when these things happen in our world, the shock value goes down a little bit each time. "Another one?" "What else is going to happen?" "Here we go again."
All of the above were constants on my facebook and twitter feed last night. I hate to say people are "insensitive" because I don't think that's the case. I honestly think our generation has been desensitized to these senseless acts of violence over the years. 

I was in third grade when I remember hearing about the Oklahoma City bombing. Friends, we have grown up with this stuff becoming the norm. Yes, it still rocks us to the core every time it happens. Yes, our hearts break over and over for the victims and the families and the communities. We still pray, we still send our thoughts, and we still want to help.

Look at our news. Every day there's a shooting. Every day overseas there's a car bomb. Every day, there are people living in fear. Hell, I'll admit I am one of them. When I go to school to work, is someone going to pick our school today? What about the mall? Church? The Movies?
This is not what America should be.

Oklahoma City. Columbine. Virginia Tech. 9/11. Sandy Hook. Tucson. Aurora. Oak Creek. Tacoma.

In all this tragedy, it's easy to get consumed in your own feelings, your own anger, your own questions. But today, take a minute to think about someone else. The first responders. The people that ran to the scene, instead of away. Thank the Lord for these people, these people with a heart of gold. These people that prove there still in some good in this world. 
These are the people who are making our world a better place.




3 comments:

  1. Thinking about the good guys is the only thing getting me through today. <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree completely. I hate the fact that we are all desensitized to these acts of violence. I posted on my blog about this and it really worries me what this world is going to be like for my daughter when she is my age? Things have only been getting worse.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm with you on not knowing how to feel. My heart breaks every time, and if anything I don't think people are desensitized, I think they're just more angry and disgusted that things like this continue to happen and that can kind of overshadow the "sadness" factor. It's so tough.

    ReplyDelete

Seeing a little "comment" appear just makes my day! I read every one of them and will respond as soon as I can. xo