Image Map

Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Reflection

Today is one of those posts, where I have a lot to say, but I'm not sure how to word it. Today is a day of awakening, reflection, & sadness. It's also a day of joy for many, and familiarity for others. It's a new day.

This election has put a weight in the pit of my stomach, and it's been a horrible feeling. Politics really does bring out the worst in people. The things I've seen on facebook, on twitter, on TV.... it makes me sad that people can say things so demeaning. So disrespectful. So inappropriate. So stereotypical. So judgmental

It makes me question "all that is good of mankind." I understand the passion of needing change, needing to know our future is safe, but what I don't understand is the anger that comes with it.

I am one of those that honestly believes it doesn't matter who our President is, things are not going to get better in one year, two years, four years, eight years. Whether you have a Democrat or a Republican in office, our society as a whole needs to change. Our society needs to put aside differences so we can work together and get our nation back on track. Our society needs to learn patience, that nothing will be fixed overnight. Our society needs to stop being so "gimme gimme gimme," "me, me, me," and start thinking as a whole about what's good for our country. I believe a wonderful man named John Fitzgerald Kennedy once said,

"My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for your country."

America is greedy. America wants it now. American thinks people "owe us." America thinks we deserve it. Yes, I realize I am generalizing, but this is my opinion. This is how I believe our society has been the past few years. 

America needs to learn some respect. Respect for our elders. Respect for our soldiersRespect for our constitution. Respect for our President - whether you like him or not. He is our commander in chief. He is the President of the United States. He doesn't need to "earn" your respect. He should have your respect because of who he is. Think about how it looks to the younger generation. If you can't even talk nicely about the President, the one position that should be untouchable, kids are going to grow up not respecting anyone. Many people have disliked previous Presidents - Nixon, Reagen, Bush 1, Bush 2, Clinton... but they have always had respect. That should be no different for our current President.

Here's the deal friends. I didn't post this blog to ruffle feathers. I'm not writing this as a Pro-President standpoint, because that's not that case either. I'm writing this because it's how I've been feeling during these last few months of turmoil. I don't like seeing friendships go to the wayside because people can't agree to disagree or respect each others differences. I don't like seeing families torn apart because people believe so strongly that they stop talking to siblings because they believe the opposite.

Things need to change. And maybe, it needs to start with you.

1 comment:

  1. I think you're totally right. People need to start looking at the common ground and where we can start moving forward rather than on all of the differences.
    What happened to embracing people's differences? And now we're fighting with each other over it.
    I hope that people can start to figure out ways to make progress rather than tear each other down.

    ReplyDelete

Seeing a little "comment" appear just makes my day! I read every one of them and will respond as soon as I can. xo