Image Map

Thursday, May 2, 2013

Do you work?

My love Karla posted this yesterday and my mind immediately went, "What a genius." I find myself constantly "defending," for lack of better word, what I do during the day to everyone. My friends, my husband, my family. Everyone always asks the same question:



Yes, I work. I'm a substitute teacher, who unfortunately doesn't get that many calls. When you only work for 2 districts, it's hard. If you've been following my blog for awhile, you know I've had issues with getting my teaching license. So it's been a pain to get my foot in the door for a school and work normal hours. Which leads people to just think I sit around and watch tv all day. Wrong.
 
Where you can find me on any given day:
Monday through Friday -- SUB DAYS: I'm up at 5 am and out the door by 6:55 sharp. I don't like to be rushed on sub mornings. I feel if I'm rushed, then it's an automatic bad mood and I don't want to take it out on the kids. Trust me, normal days it does not take "2 hours" to get ready. During that time, I get ready, eat breakfast, catch up on my morning news, and make a quick list for after work. It takes about 40 minutes to get to either school, and once I'm there I go over lesson plans and familiarize myself with the room and the kid's names before school starts. School ends at 3, I leave by 3:15-3:30, and normally tend to run an errand or two before heading home for the night. 
 
Monday through Friday -- NORMAL DAYS: My internal alarm doesn't let me sleep past 7. Up and at 'em and I start my day with picking up around the house, and getting some breakfast in. Around 8, 8:30, I turn on The Today Show, and start my social media catch up. Depending if I blog, and how many blogs I choose to comment on, and if I get into any email conversations with some besties, this last until about 9:30 or so. By 10, I am ready for the day and "start" my day. It varies each day what I do. Some days I run errands. We do our grocery shopping on the weekend, but this is when I go to Target/Marshalls/Post Office/Library/drop stuff at Goodwill/Kohls/Menards/etc. It's become my job to get toiletries, gifts for whatever events we have coming up, & you'll hear no complaining from me! Other days, it's when I start my cleaning. I use a chart (yes, nerd alert), so my days vary if I vacuum, mop floors, do laundry, clean carpets, dust, deep clean rooms, clean bathrooms, etc, etc. Most days, I alternate as in if I do errands in the morning, I clean in the afternoon and vice versa. Lunch "break" happens from 12:30 - 2 as the only TV I watch happens during that time. Sorry, not sorry. Late in the afternoon I work out, or take 45 minutes with no technology and  read. See, nothing exciting.

Tuesday night: My nights all run together as I am normally sans the Mr. Whomp Whomp. Tuesday is normally my tv catch-up night from over the weekend. SNL, Client List, Army Wives, that fun stuff. Also my "friend" night. Whether it's dinner with friends in Madison, or hours long phone calls with my long distance friends, it gets done so I stay sane!

Wednesday night:  This has turned into a husband night. He is going to be coming home, or I am going to be driving up there/meeting half-way so that weeks don't seem as long. Yipee!

Thursday night: The only night I get pretty excited for, no lie, due to TV. Grey's Anatomy and Scandal. Once a month I will normally splurge on Italian, whether a pizza and a drink, or make a little spaghetti. Just makes the night that much more perfect :)

Friday night:  Mr. comes home!!! He gets home pretty late sometimes, so our nights aren't too packed. Though we always make an effort to go out to dinner and "catch up" on our weeks.

Saturday: Our busy day. This is the day we tend to schedule things with our family, friends, events around the city. Every Saturday is filled to the brim until after Labor Day at this point!
 
Sunday morning: We're old folks guys. We wake up and read the Sunday paper together. Yes, paper's still exist. We either choose to make breakfast, or go out to breakfast. This is also our errands day. Farmer's Market (now that it's warm!), and grocery shopping. 

Sunday night:  Since Mr. leaves at 3 in the morning, we are normally in bed by 8:30. How exciting!

As you can see, I live a very exciting life. As nice as it is to have the "flexibility" during these gorgeous days, I'm not gonna lie, I miss working. I'm a very routine person by nature, which is why I plan my days down to the minute and how long I'm going to spend in a store, or on a cleaning project. Honestly, June can't come fast enough!

4 comments:

  1. Girl, if I were you I would totally tell people that I sat around eating bon-bons while having a mani/pedi and massage all day just to make them jealous. Don't ever feel like you have to justify your life to anyone. Play on, playa.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahaha. Again... several similarities here. Early bedtimes. Reading. I too, am old. Love this. I hear you on the "defending what you do" thing. When I was trying to sub (with no other job) I got a lot of "ohh.. you just watch tv all day". Especially from Scott. PREACH GIRL!! =D Love yaaa, mean itttt.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also got hardly any days when I was a sub (also for 2 districts). Reading your scheduled reminded me of that year! I DID watch a lot more TV than I do now, blogged a lot more than I do now, and ate a lot more than I do now :-P I taught for a year and now am staying home again, but this time with a little one. Staying home is WORK whether other people see it that way or not. Don't feel bad about your situation-- and good luck with the job search!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Holy schnikes im waaaay behind on reading!! Im with the other gals though, you dont have to defend ANYTHING to ANYONE.

    ReplyDelete

Seeing a little "comment" appear just makes my day! I read every one of them and will respond as soon as I can. xo