Image Map

Thursday, February 28, 2013

The facts of life

You take the good
You take the bad
You take them both
and there you have the facts of life

Even though this was an "80's" show, I use to watch reruns constantly. Especially when that hunky Doctor Ross George Clooney was on there. But I have to say, I never understood exactly what the theme song was saying. That is, until "life" started happening these past few weekends. Remember on Friday when I said I was "so excited" for new adventures to be coming E and I's way? Well, either I jinxed it, or the cards just aren't in our favor. And most of our Saturday night was spent holding back tears and using the phrase, "it's not fair." 

Long story short, our "new adventure" was hopefully going to be a house. Well, after talking to people, it sounds like that is not in our favor. I say "sounds," because E plans to try one last bank and see if we get the same answer. The answer that because I don't have a steady income, because I have a wallop of student loans to pay back, we can't be approved.

As I write this, I am in tears of frustration and tears of guilt. Guilt that there are people out there that have it so much worse off then us, and that I'm acting like this is the end of the world. Frustration that we did everything right by society's standards, and when it comes to taking the next step, we're being told to take a step back. We both have college degrees, trying to make it in the world.  We waited to get married and save money so it wouldn't all be on a credit cards, but to have a house? Oh no, that can't happen. Because I have student loans. Which then brings back the tears of guilt, because it's on me. E has no debt to his name, so I can't help but feel like it's my fault. He has basically been providing for both of us since this whole job situation occurred, and now to say, "Sorry babe, you've been busting your ass but I'm the reason we can't get a house." Boy does that suck.

It doesn't help that I'm at a personal crossroads as well when it comes to my career. My "online degree" is basically translating to nothing in my state, that I would have to start all over to get a teaching degree. And while at one point I wanted it more then anything.... I can't help but think I'm past that.

I have zero desire to go back to school. I have zero desire to sit in a lecture hall with 18 and 19 year olds, when I'm almost 28. I am okay with being an aide. I am okay with teaching in a daycare. I am okay even being a receptionist at this point. Call me "uninspired," say I have no ambition, say I'm not following my dreams. Fine. But as much as I saw teaching as something I wanted to do and love the influence I make in those kiddos lives, it was also something short-term to me. That once I had kids, I was going to be a stay at home Mom (if we're blessed enough).

Guys, if you've been following my blog, you know the only thing I want to "be" when I grow up is a mom. And to be honest, I'm ready to start our "maybe baby" life. Not right this minute, but soon. Our agreement was to get comfortable in a house, and then start trying at the beginning of 2014. We both agree we need a house before we can start talking babies. And at this point, that won't be until May of 2014. Which means, no "maybe baby" anytime soon. And while it shouldn't bother me, because as E says, we are still young, I don't want to keep putting it off. I'm sorry, but it's not a guaranteed thing. There could be fertility issues, there could be endometriosis issues, something could go wrong. And knowing all that? Starting now instead of waiting a few years makes more sense to me.

So now, we're stuck in this dingy place for another year. Our property manager refuses to give us even an extra month in our lease, and did I mention we have to give her an answer by Friday? Talk about pressure.

They [not that I know who they is...] aren't kidding when they say the first year of marriage is the hardest. Here's hopin' March is ten times better for us.

3 comments:

  1. Oh, hun. I am so sorry you are going through this right now.

    Don't feel guilty. It is totally okay to be sad and frustrated at your situation. You're only human.

    Hubby and I had a really tough time with the house thing. As soon as we gave up and all dreams of ever owning a house and having babies went right out the window, the opportunity to buy a house literally fell in our lap and everything just magically worked out. I know it seems super cliche and I hate myself for even saying this, but everything happens for a reason and timing is everything. I have no doubt that everything WILL work out for you. I think sometimes life just gets a sick pleasure out of making things hard on us.

    Hang in there. It will happen for you! E-mail me anytime if you need someone to talk to!

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. My heart is breaking for you right now. It's always so amazing to me that just when you think life can't get any tougher, it does. Is it the end of the world that you can't get a house right now? No. Are there people who have it worse? Yes. But you still have a direction you want your life to go in and when it doesn't work out the way you hoped, man is it a disappointment. I definitely feel for you and I totally know what you're going through. Especially the baby thing. Once you're ready, you're ready and being told that it can't happen for at least another year is awful! Hang in there though! All this stuff that you guys are going through will only make your relationship stronger! And it will get better. Keep thinking positive thoughts!!! It will get better!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Man. I feel ya on so many levels. There is nothing anyone could say that will make you feel better at this point, but I'm gonna say something anyway. Things happen for a reason. Cliche as that sounds. And this is the millionth time you've heard that I suppose. You'll have your dream house someday girl. Don't give up hope. Love ya. :)

    As for the teaching thing... you know I feel the same way as you do about that. It's important to do what you love. Maybe it isn't in the cards for you anymore. Who knows. It may seem like the degree was a waste of time now, but you never know what will happen in the future. You never know what doors will open. Stay strong girl.

    ReplyDelete

Seeing a little "comment" appear just makes my day! I read every one of them and will respond as soon as I can. xo