Image Map

Thursday, December 6, 2012

Saw It, Pinned It, Did It!

It's getting close friends! Which means, I had to make something "Christmas" like for today. In all honesty, I made it last week, which turned out to be GREAT after the sickness that over-took our household this week. As I mentioned here, Hubby came down with something this weekend and finally went to urgent car Monday. They said he basically had bronchitis, ew. When he got back, I decided to lay down since I wasn't feeling so hot, and when I got up hello fever, chills, sweats, coughing my lungs out. E tried to go to work Tuesday, ended up coming home, and stayed home again yesterday. I've never seen him this down for the count since his accident, so it freaked me out a bit. We basically had a "who was worse off to go get meds," fight [my fever of 101 all week won out], and now he's back to work, and I'm voiceless. At least the coughing and fever are gone. Anyways, the link today...



 
This was the original pin.

Source
So, if you click the link, you see that it's "no longer available." Womp womp. My original thought was I'd go buy some stencils, some canvas, some ribbon, and some wrapping paper. Well, then I got lazy. Guys, I hate painting things. They take forever. And I don't have that kinda patience. So, I decided to use it as a "pinspiration!" 

I decided to make this little guy. And still use paint. Duh Cayla.

 First, I took my little butt over to Ben Franklin [Does anyone have one of these around? Or is it just a Wisconsin thing? Think Hobby Lobby, but smaller.] I got wooden boards, 2 for $2.99, and the letters were $.49 a piece. The glitter, from the Dollar Tree = $1. And the paint for $1.50 at Walmart. 
Not too expensive at all. 
I started by painting the wood white & it took many, many coats. I also started painting the letters red. This as well, took multiple coats and was more time consuming then I thought. 

For the last coat of white paint, I then sprinkled silver glitter all over it. I let it dry for about an hour, and then went over the top of it with Modge Podge. 

I then went to work on putting red glitter on the red letters. I decided not to Modge Podge each individual letter & instead hair sprayed the crap outta them. Hair Spray works wonders for crafts. We'd go through 2 cans a month in the 4K classroom. 

 I let everything dry overnight, and then broke out the hot glue gun. I was able to fit the curve of the "O", right into the side of the "H" perfectly. I did this for all three "Ho's." After 10 minutes, I then went ahead and set up how I wanted it to look. And then put some hot glue on the bottom of the letters, like so. 

I then decided to go a little crazy again with the hairspray, just to be safe. After all was said and done, this was the final product, amongst other Christmas decorations.



Thanks Steph & Katie for hosting this great link-up again!


5 comments:

Seeing a little "comment" appear just makes my day! I read every one of them and will respond as soon as I can. xo