Let's get sappy for a minute or two here. This is your forewarning if you want to press that little red x at the top ;) Today I want to remember those moments I just "knew." That I knew Mr was the one. That I knew I loved him. That I knew I wanted to be with him forever. Those special moments you never want to forget, and when you reminisce about them, you get those first flutterflies. Oh yes. I went there.
Flutterflies = Heart flutters + butterflies. See what I did there. Genius.
First time I knew he was "the one."
June 19th, 2009. While I was beyond smitten after meeting him a month earlier in May, and was pretty sure I wanted this man in my life after our first date the first weekend of June, it wasn't until two weeks later that I knew he was something special. I had to have wrist surgery to get rid of a cyst that wrapped itself around my tendons. That's a story for another day, but it basically felt like my right hand was permanently asleep. Simple surgery, in the hospital by 7 am, out by 4 pm. When I finally came to, I had a text message on my phone. One text message. Guess who it was from. As knocked out as I was, I know it made me smile. And I know it made me think this guy could be for real. And in my delirious state... I texted back with him until I fell into a drug induced slumber.
First time I knew I loved him
My birthday fell in the time he was gone as well. That summer was also proving to be a bit of a test of multiple friendships for me. And my birthday came and went without an acknowledgement from a single friend. But guess who found out it was my birthday, and who had a huge bouquet of flowers delivered. When the day was shaping up to be an absolute craphole, those flowers sure brightened me up. And when I saw who they were from? My heart soared. It was then I realized how happy he made me, how I had constant butterflies when I thought of him, how I loved him. That's when the countdown started until he came back, and I knew with every cell in my body I had to see if this was going to work out for us.
First time I thought, "Huh. This is what love is."
January 1st, 2010. We were 4 months into our relationship, had a super fancy New Years Eve/New Years weekend planned in Chicago.... and I ended up with food poisoning. And instead of him bailing and heading back to school where he knew his friends would be out partying and bringing in the new year? He stayed with me for all 3 days. Laying in bed with me, playing with my hair as I slept, and watching movies on my computer with me. Not just any movies... complete chick flick movies. Sex and the City. Hairspray. Grease. Movies he did not have to watch. And let me reiterate, he did not have to stay. At that time, I was living at home. He could have bolted and let my mom take care of me. But he chose to stay. I was a disgusting mess people, and somehow he still called me beautiful during that time. That was my first realization of this is what love is, no matter what. And I never wanted to lose that.
First time I knew I wanted to be with him forever
I come from a big family, and I am obsessed with my family. For an outsider, it can be a bit overwhelming. The first two family gatherings I took him too, he stood on the outside and observed more then anything. And then, Summer of 2010, we went up to Green Bay for our summer family gathering. As normal, I took my camera out and started to take pictures of the day. When I moved into the backyard, this is what I saw;
He was teaching my two younger cousins how to play ladder ball. I can't even explain how big my heart grew then, but it was in that moment I knew I wanted to spend forever with him, and I wanted him to be teaching our children those things down the line. It was an added bonus that he just looked so sexy playing with the kids... ;)
So there you have it. The ways I just knew that Mr was the one for me. How did you know? Was there one thing that stood out above the rest? Please do share, I love sappy stories!

Please excuse me while my heart melts. I absolutely love this post. Might be one of my favorites you've ever written. Eion is so cute! Sounds like a very very caring husband too. =)
ReplyDeleteAnd the word "flutterflies".... YES. Genius.
Awe, I love this post!!!
ReplyDeleteAwww- I LOVE this, all of this! How sweet about him taking care of you and watching the chick flicks. That's a real man right there :)
ReplyDeleteAnd of course--- we've discussed the whole kid thing, HOTT!! ;)