Image Map

Thursday, June 20, 2013

PSA.

Normally I try not to get all "preachy" with people. Working with children, I see things that I completely disagree with, but I keep my mouth shut. In fact, I keep my mouth shut alot. I'm a worry wart, that my opinion will drive people way because they disagree or think I'm stupid. Fully aware there's a lot of "back story" there from growing up, but it is what it is. Point being, I rarely speak up.

Except for those that can't speak.

Yesterday I got done with work early, and headed to Walmart to return some stuff we got this weekend. Here's how it went down....

~ Pull into the parking lot. See a car with two little dogs barking away in it. Check the time. 2:47.

~ Wait in my car a few minutes to see if anyone comes out. Decide to head into Walmart. 2:55.

~ Get in line for my return. Religiously watch the door to see who goes to that car. Nobody.

~ Finally get up to the counter, and ask the employee -- "There's a car outside, closed up, with dogs inside..."  Don't even finish my sentence and I get, "Nothing we can do. You have to call the police. If Walmart is mentioned, corporate has to get involved, and it's a big mess." 3:07 
You kidding me dude? 

~ Get out to my car, one dog still barking. The other laying DIRECTLY in the sun, panting very hard, and not moving too much. Call the Police Department. 3:10

At this point, my heart couldn't take it if those dogs were really really hurt. I was feeling this overwhelming sense of guilt. I should have called sooner. I should have walked around the store looking for the owner. I should have done something more.

I drove around the parking lot for a few minutes until I saw the police car driving down the street towards Walmart. And then I left. Should I have stayed? Probably. Should I have ripped the owner a new one? Definitely. But I felt okay with what I had done. My hands were clean.

PEOPLE.

Please, please, please, please spread the word. You can NOT leave your dogs, or your child, in a car when it is this time! I strongly believe you shouldn't do it ever, but the summer time is the worst you can do. It can take 5-20 minutes for a dog to die by sitting in that car. Being able to just fit the tip of your finger in the window, isn't enough. I know in the days of "gas being expensive," people are cutting down on multiple trips, but what's more important? The 5 minutes it will take to put your dog in it's home environment with cool air and water, or the $2 it will take to make a trip back out to Walmart.

Next time, I plan to call the police immediately. Please do the same.

4 comments:

  1. I feel like hulk smashing people in the face when they leave dogs and children in cars any time, especially in the summer. I've called the police before and will continue to.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You go girlfriend!!!! You did the right thing! For all you know you saves those dogs lives! People just don't understand that it is wrong, especially with the heat of summer, to Leave them in the car!!! I'm so proud of you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These moron COPS left their POLICE DOG inside the car in GA this week & it died!! It made me so mad! I hope they go to jail!

    ReplyDelete
  4. GRRR....those kind of people PISS ME OFF!!!! I have called the police several times eff those morons that leave those fur babies in the car!! How would they like to be locked in the car in the sweltering heat?!

    ReplyDelete

Seeing a little "comment" appear just makes my day! I read every one of them and will respond as soon as I can. xo