Image Map

Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Confession....

I am 26 years old and deathly afraid of these suckers:

And by deathly afraid, I mean full out: heart racing, packing up all my valuables as fast as I can, shaking, eyes burning, waiting in front of the TV for that watch to turn to a warning and booking my ass to the nearest basement.
And the fiance thinks I'm a drama queen.
However today, is a chance for these.
I won't be home when the "peak" time is suppose to happen.
And that scares the beejesus out of me because of this little thing:
I do not want to leave him home alone.
My fear comes from an understandable place.
I've experience one of these suckers first hand.
And I don't want to have to do it again.
I think because I was so young when I had my first experience with Tornadoes, it's just always stuck with me. But, I can control it to some extent.
The past two summers I've worked at a daycare, and we've had tons of warnings. Sirens and all. Get the kids to the basement ASAP. And I'm able to put the kids first because their parents are relying on me to keep their kids safe and sound.
I'm maybe not as calm & collected as I should be. I shake, I check my phone every 3 seconds to see where the storms are, and I basically didn't break down for the kids.
Here's where the fear started:
How cute was I?! Seriously.
I was about 5 years old and was spending a Daddy & Daughter day at the ballpark for a softball tournament. My mom & brother were home because my brother was sick.The rest legit plays out like a movie in my head it made that much of an impact.
I remember the sky turning black, and everything getting chaotic.
As it was just a "storm" currently, my dad & his friends went to the bar one of the teammates owned.
By the time we got to the bar less then 5 blocks away, it was raining like crazy.
I can't remember exactly when the sirens went off, but I remember just crying... & making my dad run back out to the car to get my blanket.
And he did [what an awesome daddy!
At some point, I was sent downstairs with some of the other softball wives/girlfriends/etc. What'd the guys do? Watch for the tornado of course.
I remember it being pitch black, and random screams, random "Holy shits," etc.
When it was all said and done, we were lucky. There were tree limbs down outside the bar, but it had gone through the golf course directly across the street.
I honestly don't remember much else except that Dad said we had to go home. As we pulled onto our street, I remember seeing branches in the street, leaves everywhere, and neighbors outside picking up already.
We were safe. I can't stress that enough. But it's something that has always stuck with me.
It's one of the first things I think of when I pull into the ball park. When I drive down that stretch of road. Anytime the sky turns black. Anytime the sirens go off.


The only other "close call" I had was on the night of our Junior Prom.
This really ends up being a story that now my friends & I laugh at, but at the time we were freaking out.
If I had an old prom picture to show ya, I would... but for the life of me I can't find one.
Long story short: we knew there were going to be storms that night, so we came prepared with umbrellas. Besides, the only time we were outside was to drive from dinner to our prom destination.
Our pictures turned out beautiful in the sun and it was sunny until halfway through dinner at the country club.
As we drove across town, the sirens started going off.
We of course freaked a bit, but it wasn't until we were instructed by an officer we couldn't drive any further.
As this was the time before cell phones had internet on them, we were unaware we were driving right towards the tornado's path! 
So, we were told to find a spot to take shelter.
That spot?
No flippin' joke.
Except it wasn't like the one above, but a "delivery" only.
So guess where we hid out.
The freezer.
The storm passed, we made it to prom, but it's made a helluva story to tell since then.
Who else can say the spent part of prom in a Pizza Hut freezer!?!

So, while this hangs over my head today, I will try to enjoy the few hours of sunshine & 80 degree weather. Stay safe everyone!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Seeing a little "comment" appear just makes my day! I read every one of them and will respond as soon as I can. xo