Image Map

Wednesday, May 30, 2012

It's a love story, baby just say yes

I figure it's about high time to share E and I's love story on this thing.
Considering we're about 73 days out from saying "I Do!"

It's not a typical boy-meets-girl type story. In fact, for me, it was the complete opposite.
I did not want to meet boy.
I was content with where I was in life.
I did not want to jump into the ocean of boys.
And frankly, I had mentally convinced myself he was what I did not want.
By that, I mean, younger then me, and leaving shortly to travel the US for an externship.
Having recently left a long-distance relationship, the last thing I wanted, was to get into another one.

Our mutual friend had been trying forever to get us to meet.
So after a few mugaritas, I finally said "whatever, give him my number."
30 minutes later... text message.
I had been drinking...he was drinking...so the texts kept going back and forth.
However, it seemed to continue the next day, and the next day, and the next day.... [ get where I'm going? ]
And every single week, E kept bringing up the same question;
"Want to go on a date?"
And every single week, I had some reason why I couldn't.
Because I did not want to get involved with a guy who was going to leave me in less then a month.

Well, low & behold...I happened to be going back to this mutual friend's hometown for a party. And it happened it was the last weekend he'd be around before leaving. So, as "fate" would have it...

That Friday night, we met at Uno's Pizzaria, thankfully not just the two of us. As he puts it, it was love at first sight. I was a nervous as ever and had the worst case of butterflies. They only intensified when he walked down the stairs to our table. Hook, line, and sinker. We spent the rest of the night together, drinking in the hotel room us girl's had, and believe it or not, slept in the same bed. Though I swear on everything, nothing happened that night.


The rest of the weekend went by in a blur, and on Sunday, I was taking him to the airport so he could head to his externship. It was one of the worst goodbyes of my life. How lucky was I to get a text at the beginning of June that he needed to come home and wanted to see me! Out of everyone to pick for his evening home, he choose to spend it with me. Where we did the following;



E and I texted at least every day after he left, and talked about once a week. And by July, there was always the awkward pause at the end of the conversations. Something more needed to be said, but never was. Come August, I couldn't wait for him to come home. It was during that time I was in a career cross-roads. The family I had been nannying for the last 3 years was moving to California...and they wanted me to come with them. But after weighing my options, specifically the one above, I knew I had to stay here in boring old Wisconsin. E returned labor day weekend where we quickly reunited and he took me as a date to his high school friend's wedding. It was during that date that he said he was even more "amazed" by me, as we went to Buffalo Wild Wings. In my fancy dress, I devoured a dozen traditional wings, no mess made. I'm that classy. Every weekend after that, we were together. Whether he drove up from his school an hour away, or I drove down there. And then came September 14th.


For E's birthday, I waned to surprise him. So off to Wrigley Field for a Brewer/Cub game. We didn't even make it to the car on the way there before I heard him say, "Will you be my girlfriend?" Obviously I said yes. And by the end of the night, "I love you" was flowing freely from both of our mouths.

From that weekend until the middle of May, we took turns driving back and forth to see each other. Sometimes we'd meet other places around the state for fun dates, other times we'd just want to be at home. But it was a learning experience all the same. We became friends, which is a very strong part to a relationship, and that only made us stronger. Then came June of 2010. E got a job with his externship company, which meant he traveled the US and only came home every 3 weeks. So, we made the best of it.


Then came June 26th, 2011. One of the best days of my life. E was at a job in Iowa, and given it was a 4ish hour drive, I decided to spend the weekend there. By Sunday, E had suggested we do everything in the book. Picnic, take a walk, go to the park...I turned all of them down. I just wanted to lie in bed, cuddle, and watch TV until I had to leave. So, that's what we did. Once we got back to the hotel, I went straight to the bathroom to clean up all of my things and pack them so that was out of the way. Well, low and behold, as I opened the door.... there was my mister, down on one knee. While I'd like to say I remember everything he said, that'd be a lie. I remember a lot of it, but I also remember a lot of "OhmyGod." And once it hit me, I put everything in the bathroom sink and walked to him. I believe my answer was "Of course!" The ring, gorgeous. Neil Lane, my favorite [ blame my bachlorette obsession] , and I look at it about 50 times a day.



That September, we went to Nashville for vacation and to celebrate all sorts of things. E's birthday, our anniversary, my graduating with my teaching degree, and our engagement. During this vacation, E decided it was time to leave his company, and find something here in Wisconsin. Thankfully, less then 2 weeks later, he did. Fast forward to 2012, we've had some huge ups&downs this year, we've moved to Milwaukee, and we're GETTING MARRIED! In 73 days! I couldn't be more excited!

While our love story may have some unusual turns and twists, I wouldn't trade it for the world. This man has stood by me, no matter what my decision was. He convinced me to go back to school and get my teaching degree, something I never would have done on my own accord. He laid in my bed with me for 3 days straight while I had horrible food poisoning, checked up on me every second when I was on bed rest for my knee injury, helped me realize it's "okay" to leave a job you're unhappy in, even if there's nothing lined up, just to be happy again, and has supported me in so many ways I'll never be able to repay him back. I love him, with all of my heart. Forever & ever, amen.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Seeing a little "comment" appear just makes my day! I read every one of them and will respond as soon as I can. xo