Image Map

Thursday, May 10, 2012

Whole world can change in a minute

Where do I start?
The last 6 days have just been a clustersac.
And while I may be stressed between the moving and trying to make a mother's day gift and taking care of my guy.....
I am SO THANKFUL that he is here with me.

To start.....
This weekend was jam packed as usual. E and I were heading back to his hometown with my mom for my bridal shower with his family. Afterwards, we planned to head out to dinner to celebrate Cinco de Mayo, followed by a long Sunday of packing to get ready for our move.

E dropped my mom and I off at the coffee shop for the shower, and then headed to his childhood home. He was suppose to be back at 3:50 to help load up the truck, visit with family, and pick us up to head back to Madison.

During that time....
I forgot to take pictures... Plus, considering how long this blog will be, I just added a few.

It got to be around 4 and I realized E wasn't there yet. I really didn't think much of it. I figured he was helping his dad plant corn, or just got involved doing something with his brother.
Again, it didn't phase me too much.
I was content visiting with everyone and helping clean up what needed to be done.
A little after 4, I decided to check in and see if he was at least on his way.  His brother answered his cell phone and asked me to call him on the home phone.
Again, didn't phase me. There is no cell phone reception out on the farm.
So I called, and the first thing his brother said; "I don't really know what to say...." And then I hear the words nobody wants to hear, ever.
"E wrecked the dirtbike." 
 It wasn't until he started getting into details that he went to the hospital, by ambulance, and they didn't know anything else.
At this point, I had gone into some sort of denial and basically told his brother,
"This isn't funny." "You're joking."
Yeah... real sympathetic there.
When it finally hit me, I couldn't control my tears. So in front of the whole shower, I'm bawling, like a baby.
As my mom and I didn't have a vehicle, E's  mom took us to the hospital, while everyone stayed behind to clean up and figured out what to do with the gifts.
I called the hospital on the way, and they were thankfully able to tell me a little bit more but forewarned me he was currently getting a CT Scan, and would be heading to X-Ray and MRI before he would return to his room. Obviously, I didn't care.
So, to the hospital we arrive and the doctor was able to fill us in. He had numerous lacerations on his face, a ton of road rash, and currently had no memory of why he was even in his hometown.
It was 4:45 at this point, and the next time we saw him was at 6 pm.
For some reason, when I saw him being wheeled into the room, I just felt this calmness come over me.
And he didn't look good, at all. There was blood and dried blood everywhere on his face, down his neck, everywhere. I took a picture, but I promised E I wouldn't post a single picture. On here, on facebook, twitter, etc.
When all was said and done, E walked away with the following;
- a fractured left wrist
- road rash all over his right arm
- a swollen/bruised right elbow
- 14 stitches above his left eyebrow
- 5 stitches in his chin
- 2 black eyes, 1 swollen shut
- A big chunk of skin out of the tip of his nose
- A big chunk of skin missing at the top of his nose
- Severe road rash on his left leg & knee
- Cuts and scrapes on the back of his head
- A very bruised ego.

The hardest part of this whole thing, is that E doesn't remember what happened. He remembers the bike veering right, and nothing after that.
Even yesterday, when he was trying to remember it, he said his brain just starts flashing.
He can't work this week - that's been interesting. He's a very go, go, go person. To have to do nothing but sit on his butt all day is killing him.
We have a doctor's appointment tomorrow to get his stitches out, and one next Friday to get his cast re-looked at. Until then, our table is covered with this stuff;
 It still hasn't completely sunk in for me yet. I was still running on adrenaline Saturday night, and almost all of Sunday. I've barely ate this week between the stress of everything, taking care of E, packing to move [in 1 day!] and trying to get things ready for mother's day.

Sunday night it hit me a little bit. I'm a shower crier. Always have been. And when I finally decided to shower, I lost it. As in complete hyperventilating can't breath sobbing. To think that I almost lost him.... I'm already getting misty eyed just thinking about it.

I am fully aware things could have been worse. I am fully aware I did not lose him. But it's the fact that I almost did. If anything it re-affirms my love for him, and it makes our wedding so much more meaningful. I've heard Miranda Lambert's, "Over You" a million times since the accident and I lose it, every.damn.time. I'm hoping that part will change soon.

Within the next 24 hours, I have to finish my mother's day shopping & surprises, and still pack up my bedroom. Tomorrow E and I will be going to pick up the keys, take care of the "move-in ready" checklist, and take some things over.

I can't stress enough how AMAZING our family has been with this whole ordeal. Between the cards E has gotten, to the facebook messages, and all the help our families will be pitching in this weekend.. my heart is full of thankfulness and love. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Seeing a little "comment" appear just makes my day! I read every one of them and will respond as soon as I can. xo