Lies.
Training camp has started and the first pre-season game is NEXT WEEK. You heard me correct. NEXT WEEK.
So, as most of you know, I'm a Wisconsin girl. Cheeseheads & Badger fan all the way.
In Wisconsin we kind of like to do three things: drink beer, eat cheese, and tailgate the heck out of a gameday.
Sophomore year in college, my roommates and I decided we were going to pay an arm & leg to live directly across from the stadium. Hello! Prime tailgate spot. Not to mention easy access for a quick nap after. But the downside?
In Madison, an 11 am game means tailgating starts at 8 am sharp. Which means the band starts practicing and the sound system starts blaring at 6:45. A few football Saturdays after a Friday night out and we learned that lesson!
But today, there is a point to this post, promise!
I have a secret. I enjoy college football so much more then the NFL. Sorry Erin!
Why you ask? Well, there's more heart. The kids play for the "love of the game," not for the paycheck. Sure, you have your few who are using it as their audition to get to the NFL stage, but more often the not, they just see themselves at college kids, playing a game they have loved all their life.
When I dabbled in my "sports journalism" degree, I did a piece where I interview a UW football student, and a Division 3 baseball student. Yes, the sports in themselves were on complete opposite ends of the spectrum, but the interview was all the same. More or less their thoughts on their academics, and their "love of the game." And to my surprise, the Football player said he wished sometimes he played for a different division. There was less pressure, and more heart.
Watching college kids play, you can see the joy on their faces when they make a big play. When you see an NFL "kid" make it? They gloat. Or do a dance. Or some stupid move that becomes the next big trend (Tebowing anyone?)
People give me crap because I'm still a big Brett Favre fan.




Badgers and Packers! lol I am a Wolverine and Patriots fan :) Hope to hear more from you during the big10 match up! great post by the way!
ReplyDeleteTotally fine! Most people pick college over NFL anyway. I know I'm the weirdo ;) But since the Bengals success directly correlates to my life, it's a must! PS- I have always loved Brett Favre :) Also- can you send me some cheese? I like cheese. Thanks for linking up girlfriend!!!
ReplyDeleteI'll come and eat cheese, drink beer, and talk about how sexy Brett Farve is with you!
ReplyDeleteGirl, this Erin is totally with you on the love of college football... it's so amazing and I just love love love it for all the reasons you mentioned above! I'm so insanely jealous that you lived across from the stadium in college... how freakin' fun must that have been?!
ReplyDeleteThanks so much for linking up... blogging ladies who love sports are the best!
I won't give you crap for Bret Favre!! He was one of the best, all time. He maybe just should have quit while he was ahead!
ReplyDeleteAck, tebagging, I mean tebowing. Booooo.
ReplyDeleteCollege>NFL. You're right. But I do love both, just college more.
And I supposed I still love you too, cheese head!
Love all of this! love both of these! Hubs and I are hoping that we get to our first badger game together this year! Love my Bucky!
ReplyDeleteMy hubby feels the same way! He is so much more into college ball! I'm not huge into sports like he is, but I DO agree!
ReplyDelete