This whole newlywed thing can get overwhelming sometimes. I mean that in the sense of all that life entails. There's juggling work, juggling other priorities, and still trying to find time to not just "be" with each other, but do all that things you do before you were married. Going out to dinner, spicing things up, going on dates, etc, etc. I came across a wonderful quote a few months ago that just really resonated with me. So much so that I plan on putting it somewhere in our household.
"Husbands, never stop dating your wives, and wives, never stop flirting with your husband."
So, to keep the "newlywed spice" going, I decided to take a page from the sweetest girl, Kaitlyn , and do our own #clubsexy. We also visited #ChezHess, and fit something else in as well...
I kept it a complete secret from Mr. All I told him was that he had to follow my exact directions, no questions asked, and just go with the flow. He was beyond hesitant, but did agree to my conditions.
Friday was grocery shopping day, which meant I was able to throw some things in the cart. A simple soup mix, a salad mix, some rolls, a Bertolli frozen meal, and individual pies for dessert. All of that, cost under $20. However, I wandered into the wine section...and low and behold, they make HESS WINE! Um, hello. It was made to be and I had to have it. I knew it was out there, they only had $100 bottles in Mexico, but it was on sale for 12 bucks, so it was worth the investment. Obviously.
I hid everything in the back of the freezer and pantry and Mr really had no clue. Around 4, I told him to head down to his beer fridge, grab 3 beers, put them in the fridge, and get in the shower. I told him we had 7 o'clock reservations but it would take awhile to get to where we are going. To say he was confused, understatement.
Once he got in the shower, I got everything together and made a quick "fancy schmancy" menu. I then picked out an outfit for Mr. to wear, hung it up in the bedroom, and like any good wife would do, poured him a beer. I met him at the bathroom door, handed him his beer, told him to go watch some basketball, and I'd let him know when we'd be good to go. This got his mind whirling that I was going to drive his truck, he didn't want to take my car, blahblahblah. All of which I replied, "Just wait and see!"
My turn to get ready and after a quick make-up application and a hair poof, I was good to go. Then it was out to the kitchen to set the table & make everything. Guys, everything I picked was under 10 minutes to make. 4 minutes for the soup in the microwave, 9 minutes on the skillet, warm up the rolls -- EASY!
As things are a cookin... I decided it was time to open the wine. Yeah.. guess who broke the wine opener. So, my genius self decides... "Hey, let's stick a steak knife in there and wiggle it. That should work." Let's just say, I am so glad I wore my apron over my fancy dress. I'm a wigglin', and a wigglin' and next thing I am screaming and covered in wine. We're talking wine in the hair, in my eyes (that crap burns!), and all over my face. Of course, the wonderful husband I have is just itching to come make sure I'm okay and after some convincing, he stayed in the room. Way to almost blow that one, Cayla.
SO...after that fiasco, I put the plates and bowls on the table, threw some Frank Sinatra on Pandora, and went to get Mr. I took his hand, let him out of the bedroom and said, "We're going to ChezHess." It took a quick second of realization to figure out, not only were we staying here, but that was our "Chez". Once he saw it all, I haven't seen a smile that big in awhile!
Truth be told, neither of us really wanted to go out that night. It ended up being the perfect solution, without feeling the penny pinch or dealing with crowds and traffic. Our meal ended up being pretty dang good, and it was so nice to spend the time eating with each other and not feeling rushed. Once we finished the main meal, the romantic husband I have asked me to dance, so dance we did. A few slow dances later, we decided it was pie time. And after pie, I shoved Mr back in the bedroom.
Quickly I cleaned up the kitchen, and set some alcohol out on the island like a bar. Off went Frank Sinatra, on went 80's party mix on full blast. I went and grabbed Mr., and played bartender before we got our groove on. A few drinks in, a nice buzz going, 20 solid minutes of dancing ridiculous and working up a sweat, add in a bum ankle for this girl, and we decided #ClubSexy was going to close early.
Using my "powers" to give Mr. directions, I decided I was over the fancy dress I was wearing and it was sweatpants time. We keep it sexy up in this house. And then, to my surprise, a movie was suggested. Not just any movie... Pitch Perfect. Like I'm gonna say no to that!!!!
That meant our night didn't end at #ClubSexy, it ended in our own personal movie theatre. We stretched out on the couch, popped some popcorn, and laughed hysterically along with the movie. Truth be told, I had seen it before and have been begging him to watch it with me. He surprisingly liked it and we've been quoting it to each other non-stop. And believe it or not, we stayed up until almost 11. That's unheard of for us.
Iit was a wonderful night and the Mr. was not only surprised, but completely blown away. Since then he keeps bringing up how fun it was, how "cute" I am for doing it, and how great it was for us. It was definitely a night for the books! I sure love this guy.






I think I might copy this one night!
ReplyDeleteI completely agree with that quote.
Awwww! You guys are so cute!
ReplyDeleteSo cute! I did a surprise grown up tent night for my man (shameless plug here...http://passionpinkandpearls.blogspot.com/2013/03/date-night-idea-grown-up-tent.html
ReplyDeleteAhhh I love it. I'm doing this sooon!
ReplyDeleteI've been wanting to for so long! =)