Image Map

Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Rocky Top Tennessee ~ Travel Tuesday

Linking up with Helene for my first "Travel Tuesday." 


Helene in Between

This week we're talkin' Nashville. Oh yes, I got to be southern for a few days and I fell in LOVE. It was our first vacation together - a road trip of all thing. But we didn't kill each other, thumbs up.
Today we're recapping Thursday - Sunday, and next week we'll recap Monday & Tuesday. Y'all come back now, ya hear? ;) 

SO! We had decided we wanted to take a vacation, but the funds were limited, as was the vacation time since Mr. was saving his up for the wedding. We ended up choosing an extended weekend, Friday - Tuesday.  We left Thursday night after we finished work. Our plan was if we could at least make it to Indy, we'd spend the night and finish the trip Friday. 

 
Can you guess who has which luggage....

After spending the night in Indianapolis, we got up at the crack of dawn to finish our trip. Side note, I have the world's smallest bladder, so I was not allowed to drink much during this trip at all. Rude. 
I finally convinced the then-fiance to stop in Kentucky. 

Did you know they smoke everywhere in Kentucky? Oh yeah. There was a girl smoking in the bathroom with me. The cashier at the register was smoking. There was a guy filling up the coke machine, smoking. Maybe that makes me sound naive, but in my smoke free state of Wisconsin, it's not a normal thing to see.

Slim Jims & Chex Mix later, we were back on the road. And before we knew it, 
HELLO NASHVILLE! 

The first thing we did was check into our hotel, duh. And change into summer clothes. True, it was mid-September, but it was sundress weather to me and that's all that mattered. Our bellies were growling at this point, so we decided to head to downtown Nashville. My one request (for that day....heehee), was to stop at GiGi's Cupcakes. If you haven't had one, getcha self there... NOW. We had these cupcakes for our wedding, and I just knew I needed to be able to say I got a cupcake from the original GiGi's. 
Don't worry, we weren't total pigs. We saved them for later. Dinner was more important. Downtown Nashville was where it was at, so we headed down Broadway until we found parking. Then it was time for dinner which we were anxious, excited, and nervous about. 

Have you even been to Dick's Last Resort? Where they are purposely a-hole's to you? Yeah. We are both very sarcastic people by nature, so we weren't too sure how that would go over. Needless to say, we laughed the whole dinner and everybody should go! By the way, our waiter looked like Allan from The Hangover. Once he started quoting it, we lost our marbles. 
Mine: He's number 4 today. His: We just did it!


That night we were exhausted from the last two days, so we just chose to head back to the hotel and get our sleep on. Completely refreshed the next morning, we headed back down to Broadway for lunch & a day at the Country Music Hall of Fame. Mr. wasn't all too excited about this, he wasn't a huge country music fan, but I was jumping up and down like a kid. 




Seeing the history was breath-taking. However, as blown away as I was to take it all in, Monday I was swept off my feet. I'm such a tease.... 

Back to the hotel it was to change, and head back to Broadway for dinner at Margaritaville. I had been multiple times in Vegas, but I wanted Mr. to experience it. 
He looked hottie mchot hot that night!
Even though we were on vacation, Sunday still meant it was Packer Sunday. Oh yes, we had to revolve vacation around the game. I mean, we're cheeseheads. It's what we do. How lucky were we, that the bar literally out the back door of our hotel, was a Packer bar. Everybody in there was Packer fans, and I've never felt more at home even though we were 600 miles from home. 
Yes. There was a baby in the bar. The whole game.

After the game (nooo idea if they won or lost..), we walked back to the hotel to change and head off to go see Belle Meade Plantation. However, as soon as we got back, the skies opened up and thunderstorms appeared. By the time the storms stopped, it was almost 5 o'clock and we knew we didn't have time to do it. So, we decided to head to the little tourists stop right next to our hotel. Willie Nelson's Country Store and the Dukes of Hazzard museum. Dinner that night was our healthiest of the week, room service!

My hands were as small as Little Jimmy Dickens!




Come back next week to see the rest of our Nashville trip!

6 comments:

  1. Great pictures! I want to take a road trip to Nashville sometime (we live in South Carolina).

    I would be surprised to see cashiers smoking, or people smoking in the bathrooms. Usually it is against regulations to smoke indoors (except in designated smoking areas).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE Nashville!! I have been a couple times (for work) but I haven't been to just have fun, i need to add the country music hall of fame to my list! thanks so much for linking up!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really want to go to Nashville. My friend told me there's a hotel there where ducks live on the top floor, but ride the elevator twice a day to go outside - so obviously I'm easily swayed to new locations. Your post helped me to see that I need to go there for so much more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that you might be thinking of the Peabody Hotel in Memphis, TN with the ducks. Memphis is a great city as well though. It is about 3.5 hours southwest of Nashville.

      Delete
  4. Please don't think everyone from KY smokes!! I am a KY native, and I don't :) Every time I fly home, I go through Nashville. I grew up about 2 hours north of there. I've never been to the museum you mentioned though. I'll have to check that out sometime. The Opryland Hotel at Christmas is my favorite thing to do/see in Nashville.

    ReplyDelete

Seeing a little "comment" appear just makes my day! I read every one of them and will respond as soon as I can. xo