Friends, let's talk.
Today we're gonna get nice and sewrious on this blog here. Nice and wedding serious. Yes, yes, yes. If you've followed along with this little ditty, you know I'm already married. But there is one thing, out of that beautiful, beautiful day and the process that I actually didn't mind, that still nags in the back of my head.
Yes ladies, the "first dance song."
How did you guys pick your first dance song?
We had a tough time picking ours honestly. Since day one, E and I used music to express our feelings, our love, our relationship. We did that long distance thaaaang, so a simple text of,
"Babe, download "xyz","
was exactly what helped us forget the miles.
But when it came time to actually pick one song, to signify our relationship?
That was hard.
Our original pick was "God gave me you," the Blake Shelton version. E's mom has said since day one that God put us in each other's lives for a reason. When E left his job for our relationship, this song just spoke volumes to each of us during that trying time. As we were just beginning the wedding planning, it was a simple, wam bam thank you ma'm cross "first dance song" off the wedding to-dos!
But then, what about the other songs we said described our relationship?
For example, "Faithfully" by Journey.
From month one, we quoted that song to each other.
"They say that the road ain't no place to start a family"
"Being apart ain't easy on this love affair"
"I get the joys of rediscovering you"
It got added to the list.
Oh wait, what about the timeless King George, who we both adored and loved?
"Our love is unconditional, we knew it from the start"
"In all the world, you'll never find a love as true as mine."
It got added to the list.
And what about the hunky Kenny Chesney?
There were two songs that while on paper were the exact lyrics we were looking for...
but could we overlook the fact that we have a strong dislike for Kenny?
"Common destiny, we were meant to be, me and you."
"Every day I need you even more"
"I'll always have you to hold, and that's all I need to know"
They got added to the list.
Hold up. The song we heard on the radio, "Then" by Brad Paisley, driving back to his parents. And we both got tears in our eyes and said, "this is the one."
"I remember trying not to stare the night that I first met you"
"I hadn't told you yet, but I thought I loved you then"
"We've come so far since that day"
It got added to the list.
So, we did what any normal people would do. We took all the songs on our list, put them on my ipod, turned the lights down to sexy-time, and we danced...in my bedroom. To every single song. And slowly and surely, no matter if the lyrics touched us or not, if we didn't feel "it," the song was crossed off the list.
Sure, some were easier then others.
We felt "Cross my heart" and "Then" were too
popular, the "it" wedding songs,
and some of our closest friends ended up using "Me and You" as
their song the months before our wedding. Our list was now empty.
But as we sat on the bed crossing the final one off the list, E went to the computer, pulled up a song, and asked me to dance.
And we knew.
When E and I first started dating, I made him a mix CD [soooo corny!], and I put this song on there. It spoke to me, and I loved it... but I never knew how much he loved it too. He said it reminded him of everything we felt at the beginning of our relationship. How much we wanted to make it work, and all the time and effort we put in to do so. To him, that's what he wanted us to remember at our wedding -- all that time, effort, and work that we put in to our relationship.
God I love him.
It's not a popular song by any means. Maybe a handful of people at our wedding knew it. And while it's our "first dance" song, all of the above still hold a special meaning in our hearts. We consider all of them, "our song."
Tell me ladies, how did you decide your first dance song?




first dance songs are tough!! Ours was "it Had to be you' by harry connick jr. because everything about it is us. love it.
ReplyDeletethanks for linking up!!
Wow, look how pretty and sparkly that dress is!! Love it!
ReplyDeleteIt was a really tough decision for us as well! Like you guys, we were (/are) long distance and use music to communicate with each other - especially sending youtube links via facebook :) We ended up choosing Elton John's "The Way You Look Tonight" as our first dance because it's timeless and beautiful and we both liked it. Our last dance was "Faithfully" and I can't think of a more perfect song for that - I still get teary eyed when it comes on the radio or Pandora and the fact that it had a place of honor on our wedding day makes it even more special. :)
ReplyDeleteI looove that song! Have you heard the version of "God Gave Me You" by Dave Barnes? I like both versions but there's something a little slower & sweeter about Dave's version.
ReplyDeleteGIrl you just legit gave me the chills. That was the sweetest thing I've ever read. Love all those songs... how on earth did you narrow all those down! Man. That's so hard. But, you are right.. when you hear the one...you just know! =)
ReplyDeleteWe have had only one song that we both loved since we started dating, so it was easy for us. And damn girl, you look like Cinderella. You got some serious sparkle going on, and I love ittttt... & you! =D
Omgoodness!! We are more alike than I ever thought--I think I say that every post but somethings stick out more and this was certainly one!!
ReplyDeleteA) I don't think I've seen that picture before and I LOVE the sparkle in the dress. Gorgeous!
B) We used "Then" by Brad Paisley
C) It was between that and "When you got a good thing" I kid you not. Weird.
Hey girl, new follower here! I am in love with your blog! Stop by my page when you get a chance! xoxo
ReplyDeleteredsundress.blogspot.com